
Previously located on Laugavegur 62, this house was built in 1901 by a stonemason named Gísli Þorkelsson. During the 20th century, Laugavegur became one of Reykjavík's main shopping streets, and in 1923 a so-called Colonial Goods shop began operations in the basement of the building, which had been raised shortly before. Around the same time, when Vitastígur was extended to the south, the building became a corner house, and a new door was installed. In the 20th century, the building housed various retail outlets, including a tobacco store, an upholstery workshop, a furniture store, and a children's clothing shop. The house was moved to the Árbær Open Air Museum in 1978, where it became the museum reception and souvenir shop. It should be noted that the house's current basement is not in the original form and no longer situated below ground level.
